Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System
OMERS, established in 1962 as the pension plan for employees of local governments in Ontario is one of Canada’s leading pension funds.
As one of the largest institutional investors in Canada, OMERS manage a diversified global portfolio of more than 2,800 stocks and bonds as well as real estate, infrastructure and private equity investments.
Through highly skilled investment professionals, OMERS’s innovative asset mix consistently yields superior returns, which fund about 70% of the plan over the long-term. The remaining 30% comes from employee and employer contributions.
As a plan that is managed by and for its members and employers, OMERS has become synonymous with partnership - with its members, retirees, employers, employees and the many companies it invest in.
OMERS was established to serve local government employees across Ontario. Today, it represents 928 employers, 400,000 members, retirees and survivors, including : municipal workers, children’s aid society workers, firefighters, emergency services staff police, school Board staff (non-teaching), hydro workers.
Today, OMERS is a multi-employer plan that serves and supports its members, employer groups and retirees throughout the province.
Continuous high levels of investment performance, sound governance and our commitment to maintaining strong partnerships, have been key in making OMERS what it is today.
OMERS’s commitment is two-fold : to ensure that current pensions are paid in full and on time, and to prepare for the future when today’s new employees retire. At OMERS, the plan for the future is growing : Growing assets under management, growing membership and a strong vision for a secure, sustainable and prosperous future.
At a glance
CEO : Michael Nobrega
Sherpa : Blair Cowper-Smith
Location : Toronto
Global Assets (2011) : CAD 55 bn
Website : www.omers.com